Hand & Wrist Care
To function properly, the hand and wrist require a complex symphony of motion and activity that even if slightly off-balance, function and comfort can suffer. The fellowship-trained Hand & Wrist physicians at The CORE Institute are experts in all aspects of hand and wrist conditions from the minor inconvenience to the very complex.
Online appointment scheduling available 24/7Schedule Now
We use our hands for everything and when problems occur it can affect even the most basic task. The most common symptoms include:
- Pain and stiffness with movement
- Difficulty or pain with gripping
- The feeling of clumsiness
- Difficulty with fine movements such as fastening buttons
- Uncomfortable catching or locking when bending of the fingers or thumb
- Tingling or numbness at night or with certain activities
Conditions We Treat
It is important to determine the source of the symptoms as that will help determine the most reliable treatments. The experts at The CORE Institute utilize the latest innovations to help diagnose and treat hand and wrist pain. Some of the common conditions treated include:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – the nerves that pass through the wrist an into the hand can experience tightness or compression that may lead to pain and decreased sensation.
- Arthritis of the fingers or wrist
- Lacerations including tendon, ligament or nerve injuries
- Deformities that happen over time, such as Dupuytren’s contracture – cord-like scar tissue in the palm of the hand which can lead to contractures and decreased function.
- Dislocation or Instability
- Fracture & Trauma
- Sports injury
- Stiffness, numbness, or pain
- Tendonitis, including De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Trigger finger
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
Many hand and wrist problems can be effectively treated without the need for surgery. You can count on the Hand & Wrist experts at The CORE Institute to develop a comprehensive plan for your recovery and return to activity. Some of the non-surgical treatments include:
- Bracing or splinting to help improve comfort and provide greater stability so your hand and wrist can rest and heal.
- Hand exercises [PDF]
- Physical therapy and home exercise programs. Physical therapy is one of the most effective and long-lasting treatments for hand and wrist pain. Some of the best and most rapid outcomes are seen with following a dedicated course of guided therapy and exercise. Our hand and wrist specialists work closely with our Physical Therapists to develop a comprehensive plan that is tailored to your needs.
- Modifications to objects you use to do daily activities so they’re easier to handle.
- Over-the-counter medications
- Targeted injections to help reduce pain and inflammation
Hand & Wrist Surgery
When non-surgical treatments do not provide sufficient benefit, certain surgical treatments may be indicated. The hand and wrist specialists at The CORE Institute utilize the latest focused techniques, technologies and innovations to help resolve your problem as quickly and as safely as possible. Some of the procedures our experts perform include:
- Wrist arthroscopy – A small camera and tiny instruments are placed in the wrist joint allowing the diagnosis and treatment of several wrist conditions.
- Carpal tunnel release (CTR) – A small incision is used to create more room for the nerves to function that may be compressed as they travel past the wrist.
- Arthritis reconstruction surgery – Multiple techniques are available to address worn-out joints that help reduce pain and provide mobility.
- Arthrodesis or fusion procedures – Fusing degenerated joints into a more stable foundation can help alleviate pain.
- Fracture repair and reconstruction surgery
- Tendon repair and ligament reconstruction surgery
- Tendon transfer surgery – Rerouting the path of selected tendons can help overcome mobility challenges in some cases of poor function.
- Trigger finger release – A tiny incision is used to release the tissues that cause painful catching and locking during bending of the finger or thumb.
The hand and wrist specialists at The CORE Institute encompass a wide range of experts including experts in Hand & Wrist Care, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation. This comprehensive approach helps to ensure the most appropriate treatments are maximized for each patient.
Whether it is a hand or wrist condition, or something related to other aspects of your musculoskeletal system, contact us at The CORE Institute and let our integrated team of specialists help you Keep Life in Motion®.